Saturday 15 December 2012

Five to the Shelf




'Five to the Shelf' is a new meme I've decided to start here on The Biggest Bookshelf. Hopefully this will enable me to get more followers, comments, and possibly even ARCs or something. Basically, every weekend you write about five books you've recently added to your bookshelf and plan to read. It's kind of like 'In My Mailbox' at The Story Siren or 'Stacking the Shelves' over at Tynga's Reviews, except you have the include five, and therefore you can write more about the books you've chosen. Just an update on my book life: I'm currently reading 'Dreamland' by Sarah Dessen (whose books I adore) and I've ordered a copy of 'Saving Francesca' by Melina Marchetta via the internet. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and as always, happy reading!

The Space Between Us by Jessica Martinez 

Amelia is used to being upstaged by her charismatic younger sister, Charly. She doesn’t mind, mostly, that it always falls to her to cover for Charly’s crazy, impulsive antics. But one night, Charly’s thoughtlessness goes way too far, and she lands both sisters in serious trouble.
Amelia’s not sure she can forgive Charly this time, and not sure she wants to . . . but forgiveness is beside the point. Because Charly is also hiding a terrible secret, and the truth just might tear them apart forever.


I really loved Jessica Martinez's first novel Virtuosity and so I can't wait to read this one. I find novels about sisters very interesting (I'm an only child) and I'm intrigued by the secret that 'might tear them apart forever'. Also, that cover is lovely!


 Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill 


Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.
It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").
But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.
Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.


I absolutely adore this cover! It's just so pretty, and despite the fact the couple look way older than high school age, it doesn't bother me because it's that lovely. Anyway, I'm a sucker for romances like this and Julia sounds a lot like me. I've heard nothing but good things about this one and I'm really excited about it!


A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley


The synopsis is way too long to post, but it's basically about two girls, Charlie Duskin and Rose Butler, from what I've read. It involves "friendship, romance and songs in major chords", which is always a good mix. AND IT'S AUSTRALIAN YA!!! I'm really falling for this culture and I can't wait to read more books set in it. 








What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton


How can you talk about something you can’t remember?
Before the ski trip, sixteen-year-old Cassidy “Sid” Murphy was a cheerleader (at the bottom of the pyramid, but still...), a straight-A student, and a member of a solid trio of best friends. When she ends up on a ski lift next to handsome local college boy, Dax Windsor, she’s thrilled; but Dax takes everything from Sid—including a lock of her perfect red curls—and she can’t remember any of it.
Back home and unable to relate to her old friends, Sid drops her college prep classes and takes up residence in the A/V room with only Corey “The Living Stoner” Livingston for company. But as she gets to know Corey (slacker, baker, total dreamboat), Sid finds someone who truly makes her happy. Now, if she can just shake the nightmares and those few extra pounds, everything will be perfect... or so she thinks.


I had my eye on this one for a while before it was released, and I got a copy pretty quickly after it came out. I'm really excited about What Happens Next because it looks like a solid contemporary with believable romance and actual characters that aren't some made-up flawless Mary-Sue/Paul-Stu beings with no personality. I've seen rave reviews of this one, which is always good! 


Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler


Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances... a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.
So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life... and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.
It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are,
she knows this chance may very well be her last...

I've got a confession to make. I haven't read Sarah Ockler's other novels, Twenty Boy Summer and Fixing Delilah, despite the latter having sat on my shelf for quite some time. I have, however, got my eye on her 2013 release The Book of Broken Hearts. However, I decided to try this one because it involves a) cupcakes (win!) and b) hot hockey players, despite it apparently involving an annoying love triangle (I hate these) and a ridiculous name for a main character. But, I'm sure Hudson is a lovely person and I'll like this story quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment