Monday 13 February 2012

"Just Listen" by Sarah Dessen



I'm Annabel. I'm the girl who has it all. Model looks, confidence, a great social life. I'm one of the lucky ones. Aren't I?

My 'best friend' is spreading rumors about me. My family is slowly falling apart. It's turning into a long, lonely summer, full of secrets and silence.

But I've met this guy who won't let me hide away. He's one of those intense types, obsessed with music. He's determined to make me listen. And he's determined to make me smile. But can he help me forget what happened the night everything changed?



When I read Just Listen, I was going through my 'I won't read anything' phase, where I didn't read books, or magazines, or really anything. But one day I was out shopping and in a bookstore, and so I decided to buy this one, because I liked the sound of it from the blurb. Actually, it sounded amazing. So I went home, and read it, and this book basically got me reading again, and I haven't stopped since.

From the outset, Annabel looks like she has the perfect life. Now, Annabel was a great character who I really found to be relatable and extremely likable, even though at first I thought I wouldn't like her, because she wouldn't be the kind of girl who I would be friends with. So, something terrible happened at the end of year party, and Annabel can't forget it, and it seems that her 'best friend' Sophie can't either. Let me tell you something: that Sophie is a bitch. Oh, the times I wanted to shake her and slap her and tell her to get a grip. But that's writing for you. The twist of what happened at the party didn't come together until practically the end, and I was like "OMG!" and it really took me by surprise!
On the first day back at school, Annabel finds herself alone, having alienated her ex-best friend Clarke, and Sophie is calling her names on sight. Then, she meets Owen, a loner and outsider who is obsessed with music. All types of music, even random stuff like Gregorian chants and classical stuff and techno and rock and screeching violins. Owen was fantastic!
Basically, this novel blew me away, and Sarah Dessen's writing is astounding. She really makes you feel like you're in the book, feeling everything that her main character is feeling, and she describes everything and it's just WOW. More Sarah Dessen reviews/love-ins are coming soon!


Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment