Monday 13 February 2012

"When It Happens" by Susane Colasanti



A boy, a girl, and the possibility of something real...



Seniors in high school, Sara and Tobey couldn't be more different. She wants to get into her first-choice college; he wants to win Battle of the Bands. Sara's other goal is to find true love, so when popular Dave asks her out, she's thrilled. But Tobey always creeps into her thoughts. Lucky for Sara, one of Tobey's goals is also to make her fall in love with him. Told in alternating points of view, Sara and Tobey's real connection will have everyone rooting for them from the minute they meet!



The blurb of When It Happens also features a Kirkus review, which says "Chick lit for girls who think". I think this summarizes this novel perfectly, as it was a quick, yet well thought-out read that I really enjoyed. It is different from normal chick-lit because, again, Susane Colasanti's books feature deep topics, and have, dare I say it, intelligent protagonists, like Sara, who I really identified with, because not only was she smart, but she wasn't distracted from what was important in her life and knew what she wanted. 
I bought this in San Francisco, and it was a fast-paced read (I read it in a day or two). Susane's writing really captured me and I like how her novels revolve around fate and true love, without making them sappy or annoying or predictable. 
Overall, a fantastic read from an author who's other books I am looking out for!


Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment