Saturday 15 June 2013

Mini-reviews!

It's that time again when I have to write mini-reviews because I've been lazy with the blogging. I'm really tired right now, so I'll say some general comments about the book, and I hope you get what I'm saying... I've read some fantastic books lately. What have you read? Happy reading!

Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Not That Kind of Girl
This cover is most certainly featuring on my upcoming "Worst Covers... EVER!" special feature. It's just embarrassing. Who thought this would be a good idea? I refused to read this in public. I refused. Anywho, Not That Kind of Girl is a funny, relatable, solid contemporary. Natalie Sterling wants to be respected, and she wants boys to respect girls. However, her life's falling apart. Her best friend is changing, the new girls at school see a different side to Natalie's clear views on female empowerment, and she's got one steamy relationship going down with Connor Hughes, a boy she wants to hate. I loved the author's writing and her characterisation; go out and read this!

Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo

Love and Other Perishable Items
The cover's so cute, right? So's the story, but it's not without its hard-hitting, emotional punches. Amelia Hayes has just got a job at Coles, a supermarket in Sydney. She's fifteen and very intelligent, but emotionally naïve. She's also desperately in love with her co-worker Chris, who at almost twenty two has many different priorities to Amelia. They share interests in books, feminism (this guy is seriously awesome) and Chris basically helps Amelia (sort-of) grow up. You know their romance won't happen the way Amelia (and the reader) wants it to, and it's heartbreaking watching and reading their inner struggles. This Australian debut is well worth a read, and even though not much actually happens plot-wise, you'll be too taken in by the characters' personalities and inner turmoil to notice.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)

I have the different UK cover, but the US version is far superior, don't you agree? Practically everyone knows about this book. It's even being made into a movie! Beatrice Prior lives a dull and selfless life in a futuristic Chicago, where society is divided into factions. However, Beatrice becomes Tris when she transfers to Dauntless from Abnegation, and it sets into motion a non-stop sequence of action, romance, and mystery. Veronica Roth certainly left me with a lot of unanswered questions that I hope will be answered in the sequels, but overall this was an impressive debut. I'll definitely be continuing the series, despite a couple of flaws.
P.S. I don't like the casting choice for Four in the movie. Sorry. It's not how I imagined him to be at all!

Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr

Once Was Lost

I'm trying to read Sara Zarr's books in chronological order, and I think this is her best book yet. Her writing is flawless and completely mesmerising; her characters are equally compelling and damaged. Sam's inner struggles ring completely true, and her romance with town golden-boy Nick is gorgeously subtle. Her questions about God and faith and how this conflicts with her father are real and uncontrived. This was a beautiful story with an equally lovely cover. Top marks, Sara Zarr; I'm in awe of your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment