Saturday 24 December 2011

"Across The Universe" by Beth Revis


Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away.
Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her - and more if she'll let him. But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there - and Amy has nowhere to hide...



I love Sci-Fi and dystopia, so this book was perfect for me. I was gripped almost instantly, and I really liked the dual narrative between Amy and Elder, the main characters. Both were complex, but they were likable and had strong, independent views on what they each believed was right or wrong. The romance, despite being highly publicized on the front cover, was rather disappointing, unfortunately. I felt that the Jason and Amy storyline was good to start with, but then his 'bad' traits were discovered too quickly to make her available to have feelings for Elder. However, I'm glad that Across The Universe will be a trilogy. Also, I thought that although the plot was fantastic, it moved painfully slow and I was always waiting, suspenseful, for something momentous to happen, which it rarely did. The secondary characters were great, especially Harley and Steela, and they brought a lot of emotion to the story. Beth Revis is certainly an author to watch, and I will definitely buying A Million Suns. Overall, a magical book with just the right amount of mystery, sinister and suspense!


Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment