Saturday 17 December 2011

"Some Girls Are" by Courtney Summers



Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.



Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard - falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... that is until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen-out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes that Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first. Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march towards an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of "Cracked Up To Be".



One word: WOW. This was my first Courtney Summers read and I was very impressed. The writing was sharp, blunt and somewhat haunting. I couldn't put it down!  
Regina was a difficult character - one minute I really liked her and the next I hated her guts. She navigated strange relationships with her many former friends and boyfriend, all of whom were awful, in my opinion. Anna was a nasty piece of work who I wanted to give a good slap, as was mega-bitch Kara. Josh was a total jerk, but probably realistic, and even though I was supposed to like Liz, I thought she was cold and uptight. I know that Regina was horrible to her, and to Michael, but I couldn't help wanting something good to happen to her, despite her meanness. The Michael and Regina storyline was excellent, difficult to write, but expertly written. I could sense Michael's early hatred, uneasiness, and gradual feelings for Regina as they came at me from the pages. The plot was brilliant - beyond anything I've ever read before or since. I was in tears at the end, it made me feel that much! I love Courtney Summers' work and want to read it all!


Rating: A+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment