Saturday 24 December 2011

"Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater

The cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf - her wolf - watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.



The heat.

Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace... until now.



The shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human - and Grace must fight to keep him - even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.



I was in one of the many Borders' branches in Las Vegas last summer when a sales assistant stacking shelves asked me what books I liked. Then she recommended me this one. I read it in about a day, and I enjoyed it so much. Grace's voice really struck me - as did Sam's. They were both lovely characters and I immediately searched the west coast of America to find the sequel, Linger. Maggie Stiefvater writes amazing books, but this series is by far my favourite. It's a great mix of fantasy, mystery and romance that kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next. I recommended it to all my friends and quite a few of them have read it, which is wonderful. The secondary characters weren't as involved as they could have been, however, and I found Grace's parents really annoying and self-centered, but maybe I was supposed to feel that about them. Overall, a breathtaking and outstanding read by Maggie Stiefvater, and I loved the artwork inside the cover.


Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment